Monday, June 29, 2009

Wheat Harvest

After writing Ten days I had some comments wondering what wheat harvest was about. At the left is a picture of wheat before we cut it. In the fall we drill the wheat and it takes months to grown and mature. My husband and my father in law will begin cutting and normally it last anywhere from 10 to 14 days to cut all the acres. Each year is different depending on how much we plant and how much rain we get while we are cutting. Last week we starting and thank goodness we have not got any rain and it is going very smooth. KNOCK ON WOOD.. The minute I say that the phone will ring and something has broke down.. We have a International combine that my father in law drives to cut the wheat. My husband drives a Peter belt Truck to haul the wheat to the elevator. Where we store and later sell the wheat. My kids love this time of year, they get to go ride in the, combine and truck. The people at the elevators give them pop and lollipops. Even my youngest gets excited when she sees grandpa in the elevators. They start cutting around 8am or as soon as the dew is gone. They do not stop until the elevators close which is normally around 10:30 or 11pm depending on how many are hauling in. It is long hard work many people have no idea how hard farmers really work to put the bread on your table.





Combine!! Cutting Wheat!






Combine cutting wheat!



Grain Elevator!

No comments:

Post a Comment